FINE AND RARE MACALLANS LEAD BONHAMS MARCH WHISKY SALE IN EDINBURGH
Link to catalogue: Bonhams : Whisky Sale
The Macallan Millennium Decanter-50 year old-1949. Estimate: £18,000-20,000
The Macallan Millennium Decanter-50 year old-1949, distilled and bottled at Easter Elchies, Craigellachie leads a fine selection of Macallans in Bonhams first Whisky sale of 2021 in Edinburgh on Tuesday 2 March. It is estimated at £18,000-20,000.
The decanter was made by Caithness Glass in Crieff and comes in a fitted oak presentation case. The whisky, which was bottled in 1999 and released to commemorate the millennium, is regarded as one of Macallan’s finest expressions.
Other Macallan highlights include:
· The Macallan Select Reserve-51 year old-1946. Only 366 bottles were produced and Macallan decided to bottle just one on each day of the year, making each bottling unique. This bottled is dated 6 June. Estimate: £14,000-18,000
· The Macallan Fine and Rare-32 year old-1970. Officially bottled by hand in 2002 at The Macallan Distillery, Easter Elchies, Craigellachie. Estimate: £12,000-15,000.
· The Macallan Select Reserve-52 year old-1946. Peat rather than coal was used in the malting process because of the high price of the latter in the immediate post-war years, reverting to the practice when the distillery first opened in the 1820s. There are three bottles in the sale with an estimate of £10,000-14,000 each.
Among other highlights are:
· Dalmore-50 year old-1926 in a black ceramic decanter. Estimate £15,000-20,000.
· Bowmore-43 year old-1973. Distilled and bottled by Beam Suntory UK Ltd it comes in a wooden presentation case. Estimate: £6,000-7,500.
Bonhams Whisky specialist in Edinburgh Martin Green said: “The Macallan is always in great demand from collectors. Our first sale of 2021 offers some great examples including the much sought-after Macallan Millennium Decanter-50 year old-1949, as well as many fine bottles from other distilleries.”
Sale: WhiskyLocation: 22 Queen Street EdinburghDate: Tuesday 2 March at 11 am
Bonhams, founded in 1793, is one of the world’s largest and most renowned auctioneers, offering fine art and antiques, motor cars and jewellery. The main salerooms are in London, New York, Los Angeles and Hong Kong, with auctions also held in Knightsbridge, Edinburgh, Paris, San Francisco and Sydney. With a worldwide network of offices and regional representatives in 22 countries, Bonhams offers advice and valuation services in 60 specialist areas. For a full list of forthcoming auctions, plus details of Bonhams specialist departments, please visit bonhams.com. bonhams.com