Eidolon: Port Ellen 1983 (Hunter Laing)
Hunter Laing introduced a new series called Eidolon. It is a three-part series of Port Ellen bottlings, starting with a Port Ellen 1983 single cask. The press release mentions ‘further ageing’ without specifying, but judging by the colour we assume it was finished in a first-fill sherry butt.
Bottled at 53.5% ABV, only 638 bottles are available soon from select retailers as well the online Ardnahoe distillery shop.
Mden 1997 rum – The Whisky Jury
The Whisky Jury has released quite a few beautiful whiskies since September 2019 and now the brand is venturing into rum as well. The first bottling is a single cask Jamaican from an undisclosed distillery but the Mden 1997 mention should ring a bell.
Expect diesel fumes and bananas. Funk alert! There are 241 bottles at 55.6% ABV, available for around € 190. On its way to stores as we speak.
A new expression will soon show off the sweeter side of Johnnie Walker, specifically intended for long drinks (similar to X By Glenmorangie) and wanting to attract a new audience. Johnnie Blonde is made using wheat and fruity malt whisky, matured in American oak. Hitting the shelves in March 2021 for around € 20.
Whisky releases that may not have been widely announced but that grabbed my attention in shops recently…
- Benromach 21 Year Old
- Benromach 2009 Cask Strength Batch #4
- Springbank 1994 Single Cask series 11 (North Star)
- Compass Box Magic Cask
- Orkney 1999 PX sherry cask #5743 (Infrequent Flyers)
- Bowmore 1997 cask #2692 (Infrequent Flyers)
- Ben Nevis 1996 (Golden Cask)
- Glen Moray 2006 Sauternes Cask
- Cigar Malt 2006 first-fill sherry cask #6177 (Chieftain’s)
- Bowmore 30 Year Old (2020 release)
- Paul John Christmas Edition 2020
- The Cardrona Growing Wings
- Jura 1988 (Blackadder Statement No 32)